It’s really quite simple to get up and running on Twitter. Here’s how.
Step 1 – Create an account
- Go to http://twitter.com and find the sign up box.
- You’ll be asked to enter your full name, phone number or email address, date of birth, and a password. I am careful to protect my personal data.
- Click Sign up for Twitter.
- In order to verify your phone number, Twitter will send you an SMS text message with a code. You may also request a voice call to verify your phone number. Enter the verification code in the box provided.
- Once you’ve clicked Sign up for Twitter, you can select a username (usernames are unique identifiers on Twitter) or create your own.
- Click Create my account. (You may be asked to complete a Captcha to verify that you are not a bot.)
Step 2 – Begin following
Using the search box, type in the name of someone or a business that you’d like to follow. For example, I’m interested in following Deschutes Brewing.
Type in Deschutes in the search box and hit enter.
Twitter will return all relevant user names.
Click on Deschutes Brewery to get to their home page.
Simply click on the Follow button to start receiving tweets from Deschutes.
Step 3 – Acquire Followers
There are four ways to go about this.
- Simply ask people you know to follow you.
- Someone decides to follow you based on a tweet you sent out.
- Go to the home page of someone you’re following. Click on their Followers. You can follow anyone that you wish. It is common for people who you follow to follow you back.
- You can automate that process (#3) by using a tool. Just Google “twitter follow tools”. Many tools not only enable you to follow but also to un-follow.
Note that these steps apply to setting up Twitter on a desktop computer. There are separate apps for ios and Android.
There’s a lot more complexity and options to using Twitter but to get up and running all you need to do is to follow these three steps.