Over the last 3-4 months, the number of people who subscribe to our newsletter, listen to our podcast and visit our website, has grown. In an effort to provide content that serves people’s interests, I sent out a brief survey. Now that the survey is closed, and I have looked over the data, I thought you might be interested in some my summary findings.
- 52% are men and 48% women.
- There are an equal number of retirees vs. pre-retirees.
- There is broad state representation including Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, California, North Carolina, Florida, Arizona, Wisconsin, Massachusetts, Georgia, Montana, Illinois, Indiana, Texas, Wisconsin and Rhode Island. There are 2 non-US countries also represented.
- The average number of years before pre-retirees plan to retire is 2.5 and the average number of years that retirees have been retired is 3.
- People enjoy a wide range of interests! The most often cited is reading. However, the range is vast and includes gardening, traveling, walking, hiking, fishing, golf, quilting, grandchildren, cooking, museums, ballet, theater, conversing, skiing, drawing, going out to dinner, swimming, playing pool, crafts, nature, hunting, running and kayaking. Wow!
- The biggest challenges people face are financial, adjusting to having a lot of time, getting both partners to be in agreement, finding a new purpose and meaning, and staying engaged socially.
- 45% rate their financial literacy as high, 47% medium and 8% low.
- Here’s how these retirement topics were ranked in terms of importance.
Lifestyle (travel, learning, volunteering, social)
- Here are the most popular ways that people get or share information.
|Social Media (Facebook)||38%||13%||15%||34%|
|Retirement Websites & blogs||65%||25%||10%||0%|
- The mission of Retirement Journeys is to share real-life experience to inform, engage and inspire your own retirement journey. We received the following grades from you.
|Strongly Agree||Agree||Neutral||Somewhat Disagree||Strongly Disagree|
|The mission of Retirement Journeys is valuable||55%||37%||8%||0%||0%|
|Retirement Journeys if fulfilling its mission||36%||25%||39%||0%||0%|
|Retirement Journeys content – podcasts, newsletter, downloads and videos – provides more value than other retirement websites.||24%||33%||43%||0%||0%|
- Here are a few of the comments that were added.
- Thank you very much for your time, patience, and professionalism. I would encourage you to check out The MadFIentist, Mister Money Moustache, and Financial Mentor.com. You share many perspectives with them.
- I am very interested in learning how to dodge the tax torpedo in retirement and where I should be investing my money to shield against moving out of the 15% tax bracket with both social security, pension, and 401k income
- Keep up the good work. Especially like the fact you don’t have an agenda, except for disseminating helpful information on a wide range of retirement topics.
- Providing a worthwhile service!
Now that I have learned more about you, here are a few ways that I hope to use your input.
- Ensure that people know how to listen to a podcast because our monthly podcast has become an important feature – one that I hope provides extra value.
- Stay focused on pre-retirees and recent retirees.
- Provide more content that builds financial literacy.
- Create more presentations on YouTube and for download.
Please feel free to provide your ideas, ratings and constructive criticism in order to help us continue to improve our service to you.